
This is me last year on New Year's Eve. I was just a tiny baby and I allowed my parents to put me in ridiculous poses because I didn't know any better.

This is me this year. Bigger, stronger, and much less willing to cooperate with my parents' antics!

They kept trying and trying to get a "baby new year" picture but I would not cooperate.

They finally gave up after I ripped the "Happy New Year" tiara off my head and scratched my face with it. Then they felt really bad. Hopefully they have learned their lesson!!

Before all of this baby new year ridiculousness, we were having a lovely New Year's Eve. We watched the Gophers lose the Insight Bowl AGAIN. So I guess that wasn't too great. Mommy and Daddy had fondue. I didn't get fondue because it had some wine in it and I'm not old enough for wine. I did help myself to a bunch of carrots off the "dipper platter." I tried to eat them but since I still only have my bottom two teeth I really couldn't bite any carrot. I was really hoping I'd get my two front teeth before 2010 but that didn't happen. So actually, my New Year's Eve wasn't that great afterall!

Let's talk about some happier things. I started feeding myself with a spoon this week. I am pretty good at it although I get much more food in my mouth when my mommy or daddy feed me. Eating this week has been a bit of a battle. I was doing pretty good last week at self-feeding table foods. This week I decided that I'm not ready to grow up so much and want to eat everything off a spoon. For instance, Mommy gave me some diced pears that I refused to eat and threw them all on the floor. She took the rest of the diced pears, mashed them with a fork, and fed them to me and I ate them all. The only table foods I would eat this week were shredded cheese and banana slices. Of course, if I had my way I would just have a steady diet of Cheerios and various Gerber puffs but apparently that's not allowed. Mommy and Daddy are hoping this is just a weird phase I'm going through as they were excited to be getting done with all the pureed/mashed stuff and me just eating whatever they were eating for meals. Turning one has come with a lot of changes and I guess this is one I'm not quite ready to embrace.

I am enjoying all my new clothes I got for my birthday and for Christmas. I'm fitting into all the 18 month stuff although my legs are a little short so pants still need to be rolled up a bit. I went to the doctor for my 1 year checkup on Monday. Here are my stats:
Weight: 23 pounds, 13 ounces (80th percentile)
Height: 30 inches (75th percentile)
Head cirucumference: 18 1/4 inches (80th percentile! Nice jump from my 10th percentile head at birth!)
On Monday when I went to the doctor Mommy and Daddy raved about what a good eater I was. That was before I started my table food strike. My hemoglobin test came back and it was a half point lower than "normal" so Dr. S told me I needed to take half of a Flinstones vitamin everyday. Since I'm not quite ready for chewable vitamins he told Mommy to crush it into a powder and mix it in a little ice cream. Yes, that is correct--I have been prescribed to eat ice cream for breakfast every day! That news made up for the fact I got a bunch of shots and a blood draw and was generally not happy about my doctor's visit. I LOVE ice cream! It's soooo tasty. And it is either grape, orange or cherry flavored depending on which Flinstones powder is mixed in. I love it! Much better than the grape Zantac I used to take everyday for gastric reflux.

It was a bit of a bummer this week when I woke up from my nap and most of the Christmas decorations were down. I really was having fun taking ornaments off the tree. Next year I'll be even taller so I'll be able to take even more off the tree. A benefit to the Christmas stuff being put away is that there is more room to push around my toys. Also we got this fun storage bin to hold wrapping paper. I had a blast in it. Daddy pushed me around the house like it was a sled. My dolly came with too!

Here is me standing up in my bin/sled. Pretty impressive, huh?!

The other good thing about the Christmas stuff going into storage is that now this little cubby hole is open for me to play in. There was a mini Christmas tree and fake Santa and Mrs. Claus in here before. Before Christmas it was empty but I wasn't as good at climbing in November as I am now. Now this is my favorite place to curl up with a good book! I call it "Megan's Book Nook" Clever, huh?

As it is January, it's time for those New Year's resolutions. Mommy and Daddy are trying to get more exercise. I figured it's time for me to lose some of this baby fat too so I joined in a workout with Daddy.

This is me right before my nap yesterday. I'm glad I got one last "sled" ride in because when I woke up, my favorite bin was gone. I heard a rumor that it's now holding wrapping paper, bows, and tags. Bummer! Maybe I'll ask for a plastic storage bin from Santa next year. That seems like a really long time from now. What else is new with me?
- I'm now considered a full-fledged walker! I can walk across the room now with no assistance. I walked from my bedroom, down the hall, and into my parents bedroom all by myself today. I choose to walk first (vs crawl). If I fall, usually I will just crawl the rest of the way to my destination. If I fall, it is usually because I get tripped up by something on the floor or get moving too fast.
- I graduated to Nursery 2 at church! No more playing with babies because I'm a big girl now! We went to church Saturday night and Sunday morning because my parents had nursery duty Sunday morning. Saturday night I made the big switch to Nursery 2 and did well. This morning Mommy worked in Nursery 2 so I got to show her how I can play with all the big kid toys. My favorite is the rocking horse and I can get on it all by myself!
- I have made the switch to whole milk. I still am having a bottle at night before bed. I'm not quite ready to give that up yet. When I drink out of my sippy I usually take a few sips and then throw my sippy cup. My parents keep telling me that I could just set it down nicely on my high chair tray but I will have nothing of it.
- Today was the last day of Christmas vacation. Daddy has been off work and we have been having lots of fun. Tomorrow it's back to just Mommy and me. Bummer!!
I'll leave you with a video of my recent piano recital
Megan
How fun to have ice cream for breakfast Megan!!!
ReplyDeleteI like your book nook!!
If you decide to stop throwing your sippy cup, please tell your buddy Nolan that he needs to also stop doing that...as his parents haven't found the strategy for him to stop that either:)
I too have a request for you Megan. . . talk to your buddy Cal and tell him to start feeding himself more often! Cal still wants mommy and daddy to feed him.
ReplyDeleteSpeaking of vitamins. . . when I was in 1st grade my parents would always give us one before school. I would either find a garbage can at school to spit it out in, or I would (for real) spit it on the ground behind these bleachers!!!